Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Getting Ready for the Asheboro Chili Cook Off - And I'm Going to be a Chili Judge


Eating Light Tonight. Judging a Chili Contest in Asheboro Tomorrow.

Greta Lint recruited me to be a judge at the great Asheboro Chili Cook Off tomorrow (April 18, 2009).

I'm coming up on the last week of classes and then exams, so I was not thinking on a road trip. But, I just can't pass up homemade chili. Yum!

Someone at worked asked me how I'd clean my palate with 40 chilis to try. The answer to that question is water. If the heat on one fries my taste buds, I'll break and have a soda cracker. Then, it's spoon to bowl again.

Others at the festival will be able to have beer. Asheboro has just passed a law for alcohol. That doesn't work so well for judging though, because you:

A. Get too full too fast.
B. Decide every bowl is fabulous and award everyone first place.
C. Wake up on the street in Ashboro the next morning wondering where's the nearest bathroom.

Speaking of the bathroom, I'm sure they'll have plenty of porta-potties. Unfortunately, I do not do well with those. The boys laughed and pretended they did not know me at the Lexington Barbecue festival, because I would go in one and come busting out coughing, gagging and not having gone. Then, I'd have to wait in line again and pray for a better smelling one.

I have come up with the perfect plan for that porta-potty problem. I stopped at Harris Teeter and got a pack of Immodium. This is not something I use (which is why I had to stop at the store), so the plan may backfire. Also, I suppose it will not help if I go too heavy on the water between bowls of chili. It is also possible that I may have to make a Sunday run to Harris Teeter for Ex-Lax. We shall see.

The other thing I am thinking on is - What to wear? This is girl pattern behavior. But, it could factor in. If I wear my hot low rider jeans along with taking Immodium, I may have to unbutton the button, and that would not look very professional. So, I am thinking it will be loose jeans (and do I have any after working all winter on a summer grill feature for Consumers Digest?) or elastic pants.

Given that it's supposed to be hot and sunny tomorrow and in view of the fact that the make up lady down at Belks tells me I'm a 2 (pale - for those who do not know), I suppose I will have to wear a hat. Hats do not become me, and I suffer greatly from hat head with my fine hair. Better than burned I suppose. I think I'll wear the one in the photo, so you can find me at the Asheboro Chili Cook Off. Just look for the woman in stretch pants, running out the door of the porta-potty, wearing a camoflauge hat. Once I catch my breath, tell me "hi."

I plan to go early and also plan to take my son's new TomTom GPS. Hopefully I do not end up at Bojangles, because the best I can tell that is his main program in there. Every Bojangles in every city comes up on his GPS map. Go figure. No gas stations. No hospitals. Just Bojangles.

The Asheboro Chili Cook Off is a full blown street festival, so I am also looking forward to hearing the music, checking out the kids playing in the Kid's Zone, and watching the Hot Head Contest. I'll have to buy a raffle ticket too, because the winner gets $8000 or up to $1000 a month toward mortgage payments for a year.

OK. Enough blabbing. I need to go take that Immodium (or maybe you do that in the morning - need to find reading glasses and check directions) and also must see about pants that allow room for eating 40 bowls of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment