Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pisgah National State Forest, North Carolina



Pisgah National Forest covers 157,000 miles including 40 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are 9 campground areas (5 group areas) and over 340 trail miles. You could spend years exploring the park, but you probably have a job and things to do, so I’ll tell you about my favorite portions of the park and surrounding areas.

The Davidson River Area is a good spot to start out. To get to DRA, look for Brevard, NC which is known as the land of waterfalls around NC. Where NC 280 and US 276 join, take 276 NW. The park area is about 1 ½ miles from the 280/276 intersection.

On 276 (which is a scenic highway), you see Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock. You can see these natural attractions from your car, but that is kind of defeating the purpose of visiting the “land of the falls.”

Be sure to take your swimming suit too, since Sliding Rock really is a natural slide of slick rock. You line up with a rope to help you pull up the mountain side and then slide down the rock into the stream-fed pool below. That is sure cold I can promise, but you will remember sliding on Sliding Rock. I slid as a kid, and then I took my boys back so they could slide too.

On into Brevard, take 64 if you want to see more waterfalls. Two good ones are Dry Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. You can walk behind Dry Fall and drive your car behind Veil Fall.

Those are really the big name falls I’ve mentioned. You’ll really have an “experience” if you do take the time to hike into the woods and make your own discoveries. The boys and I went in deeper and found a fall with a vine to swing out and drop into a big pool. The boulders were huge. We swung and swam, and the boys even did karate forms on top of the boulders. I would tell you where that fall is at, but I have no idea. We just followed a trail marked with a tie after parking on the side of the road.

From what I understand there are 100s of falls back in the Pisgah. You can ask around, and locals can direct to favorite spots or you can explore and just happen across really neat spots like the one the boys and I found.

With all that water, you can imagine that there are fish. This is the big trout fly fish area. That is when you stomp up and down in the cold stream dragging all your stuff with you while constantly throwing the fish line out and reeling back fast. My uncle talked me into doing this, so I know it is sure not sitting on the creek bank waiting for a fish to come or not. Anyway, some folks love trout fishing. My dad is one, and he says this is a good area. I will take his word for it.

There is the hatchery nearby, which is why the fishing is so good I guess. You can visit the hatchery. My boys thought that visit was neat. Millions of fish waiting to go into the streams and be caught. The boys got to throw fish food in to the fish on that visit. Just look for the Fish Hatchery signs, and stop. Folks working there will answer questions and let you feed the fish.

Another neat place to stop off is the Cradle of Forestry on 276 near the waterfalls. The Pisgah Forest is the first protected forest with studies for students to learn more about nature and cutting out trees while leaving some and planting new trees. You see the old school house and learn about the educational field of forestry. It may sound pretty dull, but it was a good stop. I’ve been about 10 times I think, and I always enjoy Cradle of Forestry.

When you’re ready to bunk down for the night, you can camp there at the Davidson River area. There are 161 spaces set up in loops. Some are in meadow areas and others lightly wooded. Each site has a table and grill. Each loop has a bath house with hot water. There are also some group camping spots with pit toilets and back country camping is allowed with some really gorgeous scenery.

If you’re more of a motel person, then you can stay in Brevard. They have several inns and B&Bs. There are also some new motels at the main intersection. I would check ahead and know where I would be staying rather than driving in and taking a chance.

Once I went into Brevard late at night, and the rooms were filled up in the chains. I saw a motel sign on a side road. I think I stayed in the Howard Bate’s garage motel. The man was quite sloshed and it seemed to me I stayed right in his house when the newspaper thumped up against the door the next morning. I will say the fellow was nice though a bit hung over the when I gave him his paper and checked out (handed him the key actually).

The only time I would suggest Brevard as the home base is during the summer during the Brevard Music Festival. Over 70 performers play music of all types. Some of the music is free, and some shows include a fee. If you plan to stay in the summer for the music festival, then you need to reserve several months ahead.

Since Ashville is only 30 miles away, I would say that staying in Ashville makes sense. You have the full range of sleep-over options in Asheville even if you don’t plan ahead. There are lots of restaurants and cultural activities in the Asheville area. It doesn’t take long to drive into Pisgah which is part of the land holdings owned by the Vanderbilt family (built the Biltmore House and donated the land for Pisgah to be saved for all to enjoy). Be sure to visit Biltmore House which looks like a palace and is the largest privately owned home in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment