Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Top 10 Inexpensive Restaurants in Central North Carolina


Front Counter at Keaton's Barbecue Chicken in Cleveland, NC

One legendary restaurant in the piedmont is Keaton's Original Barbecue. They have pork barbecue like many restaurants, but you want to order the chicken. That is what they have a name for.

Keaton's chicken is fried and then barbecued. What? I know that sounds strange. It is not crispy fried chicken with spice like Bojangles. And, it's not slathered barbecue chicken like you might make at home. It's just in a class all its own.

I was thinking about Keaton's today and about other great places to eat here in central North Carolina, so I posted up my top 10 list of piedmont restarants.

Sure. You can pay more and get great food, but I went for the local favorites which tend to be very reasonably priced and always tasty.

Barbecue joints (pork) are always popular in North Carolina, but some do it well and others do not. You want low and slow smoked BBQ. Look for a wood pile out back and for smoke billowing at various times of day. I'll cover some of those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment